As reported by the National Fire Protection Association, Thanksgiving is the peak time of the year for fires at home. Here are some tips on fire safety in the kitchen to help you make sure the only thing you roast this holiday is the turkey:
- Keep an eye on everything you have cooking, especially when using a stove. If you need to leave the kitchen for an extended period of time, turn off the stove. Anything that was cooking before will still continue to cook.
- Use timers if you are using the oven or boiling/simmering something on the stove.
- Keep kids away from the kitchen while it’s in use.
- Move anything flammable away from the stove. Papers, plastic bags, wooden utensils, towels, oven mitts, etc. should all be placed in a safe area away from the stove.
- Clean up all spills as they happen to prevent accidents.
- Be careful about grease and grease fires. Dispose of all grease properly. If any grease catches on fire, put it out with baking soda. Water will not help put out the fire.
- Check your smoke detector and make sure it is in proper working order. Replace the batteries if needed.
- Have a fire extinguisher readily available in case if anything happens.